There'll be many posts on this very topic and since this is my first, let me first give a brief on what things I'm looking for in a Pre-school for Z.
What's your take?
- Location- I would love if the school is walking distance from our apartment. Now that's an added advantage and not something I'll rule out a school on. Even if I have to take a short auto ride to reach the school, its going to be good for me. When she'll go to big school, I can send her a little far, but not in case of Pre-Schools.
- I'm looking for a Montessori school. I totally am in for Montessori, I don't believe that schools which load kids with a lot of 'knowledge' work for us/Z. In a Montessori set up, each child learns at their pace, and per me they'll enjoy the whole experience of learning.
- I'm not a huge fan of Franchise based schools which open up in every single nook and corner. For me these schools are nothing but Money Making machines. Similarly brand names don't impress me, the school should appeal to me when I visit it and not it's full page colored advertisements in the newspaper. And more than me, Z should feel free in the environment.
- The teachers and management should know what they are doing and should be bloody good at it. I'm extremely particular about language development. I'd want the teachers to communicate properly and they should be good with kids. The school should focus on extra-curricular besides just studies.
- The school shouldn't be very fancy. Be it Infrastructure or people. I would be at ease if Z attends a school which is grounded.
- A good Student - Teacher ratio for sure is important, especially in Pre-Schools
- I remember in my school La Martiniere we didn't carry any books to school all our books were locked in our classroom. We didn't have any exams just assessments (those didn't happen every week either). We did not get any homework. This was followed till standard IV. This resulted in lighter bags and less burden on us and our parents. We were encouraged to participate in Extra-Curricular activity and SUPW. I have grown up as an above average student, but someone who loved participating in Dramatics, Debates, Creative Writing, Dance and the works. I want a similar environment for Z. I don't want Z to miss out on all the fun things one can do in schools.
What's your take?