Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Bookalicious Tuesdays - Ismat's Eid

Book: Ismat's Eid:
Author: Fawzia Gilani-Williams
Illustrator: Proiti Roy

 

Z has liked very few books published in India, but she loves Ismat's Eid. The story is an adaptation of a Turkish tale (I guess I read it in school). I love the hilarious tale of a shoemaker who gets pants for eid, they are 'four fingers too long'. Everyone seems too busy to help him, everyone has something to do for the big day tomorrow. The tailor, Ismat's wife, Yasmeen; his mum, Habiba and his daughter, Mahjabeen have their respective chores to attend to.

This tale is super funny and Z loves it.


In Z's words: I love Ismat's eid because it makes me laugh... A lot.

BZM Thumbs Up:
  • Love the story, simple and funny
  • Love the narration
  • I also like the fact, that Fawzia Gilani has explained a few Urdu words which kids and many parents might not understand.
  • It is repetitive which works very well with kids, they start connecting with events.
  • It teaches kids about making small adjustments and being happy in a very subtle (non-preachy) way.
BZM Thumbs Down:
  • I like the book a lot, so I don't have any issues whatsoever.

BZM gives Ismat's Eid 9/10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please understand this is a kid-friendly blog and your comments would be deleted if they are found offensive in any manner. Hope you understand

Wild Karnataka – Experience

We were ecstatic when we got to know we were going to see  Wild Karnataka.  It was a long trip to Vega City mall, Bannerghetta Road, Benga...